Holiday checklist for cat owners
When going on holiday, there’s sooo much to remember. Passports, tickets, suntan lotion. And as we run out of time, our fur babies run the risk of being just a note on the to-do list… Well, there is another way. Rather than have your holiday begin like Home Alone, let a lovely cat sitter take care of your cat. (And if it’s absolutely not possible for your cat to stay at home, pet care services such as a cattery could be the next best option.)
Here’s a list of what to prepare, so you can be sure your feline friend is happy and safe in your absence.
- Booking a cat sitter in advance is a super easy way to begin a stress free holiday:
- Arrange to meet your cat sitter a few days in advance, showing them your cat’s routine and give them a set of keys.
- Call your vet ahead of time and leave a credit card number in case of emergency. Double check your cats are wearing their identification collars
- Let your neighbours know you’ll be away and that a cat sitter will be visiting. If you can, leave a spare key with them or a friend incase of an unforeseen circumstance.
Just before you leave:
- Lock windows and doors and adjust the thermostat to a desired temperature level suitable for your kitty.
- Be sure any potentially dangerous items are put away so your curious kitty doesn’t get into them in your absence.
- Pop everything the cat sitter will need in one area – food, toys, cleaning products, and treats.
- Make sure you’ve left the sitter with clear instructions and emergency contacts.
- Consider getting a few new toys for your kitty to help keep boredom at bay. A Kong Cat Wobbler or Senses Play Circuit would provide hours of fun entertainment for a kitty.
- If your cat is especially nervous around strangers, set up a Feliway Diffuser, it releases a comforting, synthetic copy of the feline facial pheromone, creating a calming, stress free environment for your cat.
Phew, it’s not so much to remember after all – the rest the cat sitter will do. And, with daily photos of your moggie’s antics, you’ll enjoy peace of mind each day you’re away too.